Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sacramento Food Bank-- A Spike in Pictures

Friday was our last day working at the Food Bank and I can honestly say that I will miss working there. There are so many smiling faces, good people, generous donors, gracious recipients, and strong, helpful efforts aimed at improving people's lives at the Food Bank. It's a unique place and I'm glad that my team and I got to be a part of it.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, as they say, I thought I'd post a few pictures for you all to take a little peek into Sacramento and see some of the faces I hang out with on a daily basis.



Welcome to the Food Locker! We have plenty of staples here... maybe you can see the pallets stacked high with peanut butter and the white plastic bins filled with canned goods. Depending on what comes in the day's shipment from the local supermarkets' gleaning of the shelves, we also have dairy, eggs, fresh produce and other assorted items to give out to the clients who come for groceries.


Meet the kids of the After School program. On our last day, we made the kids a card and took a few quick snapshots with them. The girls that I tutor are looking uncharacteristically non-smiley in this shot. Alot of the kids who come to the After School program also live in the Food Bank's Havens Housing-- a program that helps homeless families prepare for home ownership by providing job training and affordable housing.


More pictures to come when the internet's not quite so slow...





No comments: