Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Getting into the swing of things

The third week of our project is off to a good start, with team Silver 6 working on a variety of projects. We're splitting our time between the Oak Park, Saca Center, and Del Paso locations of the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services. We're everywhere... working in the warehouse, wrapping Christmas presents, playing with little kids, tutoring adults, providing crowd control for middle schoolers... we're pretty much got it all covered. The project is a really quite a good one and I think that the variety that sometimes makes us feel like we can't focus on one thing for long enough will be sorely missed when we have a more focused project. Hammering nails into a wall might seem a little plain after this assignment.

A few non-Americorps things to report back about... I went and saw a fantastic concert this past Saturday. Evelynn Glennie is a profoundly-deaf percussionist who put on an amazing concert at UC Davis. A teammate and I splurged and bought the expensive tickets so we've have good seats near the stage and I'm really glad we paid the extra few bucks. She played some beautiful music on instruments ranging from clay flower pots to the marimba to wood blocks to a snare drum. Check out a little video clip of a song we saw performed at YouTube.

I'll be back in Maryland soon to spend Christmas with my family! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, friends and family alike, spending time sleeping in my own bed, and enjoying a little Maryland snow (I've got my fingers crossed!!).

No comments: