Saturday, October 20, 2007

Do you have steel toe combat boots in your closet?

Because I do! My new black leather, steel toe boots are my favorite part of my Americorps uniform. Other than my feet, Americorps is also covering me with tee shirts and polos and some not-so-fashionable rip-stop khakis. There's a pretty strict code of conduct in place while we corps members are "wearing the A", as it's put, which includes no bad language, no politicking, and no visiting bars. Guess I won't be using the uniform to help me pick up chicks :)

After chatting about this week's experiences with my dad, an experienced military man, I learned that the paperwork and in-processing and shots and physicals might be called zero week. We're getting used to the rules and learning our way around town and breaking in our uniforms, but we still have plenty of free time to sit around and chat with all the friendly kids that are here. Nearly everyone I've met is super-friendly and approachable-- we have some funny converstations about what town everyone's from and what all we've done over the summer. I've also learned that there is indeed about 6 degrees of seperation between two given people. For example, I played pool last night with a bunch of kids and chatted with one guy who lived in Minnesota and went to school in Illinois. Not so many things in common between a cowboy-booted Midwesterner and myself, one might think. But as we came to find out, his family is all from Towson, MD and he goes back to visit them a few times a year! He's also a fan of exploring Loch Raven. Small world, indeed.

No comments: